Thursday, July 9, 2015
Some doughnut peaches give me a sense of summer... Initial wash of quinacridone gold, quinacridone red and cadmium red. I used Canson Moulin du Roy paper for the first time, and I really like the effects it gives the paint. There is more "tooth" than the Arches cold pressed paper so it create more effects particularly with granulating paints.
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Experimenting with ultramarine blue and Prussian blue washes ended up with one of my favourite subjects, a dandelion clock! I kept the white of the paper to enhance the edges and the centre of the clock, with a ghost clock on the right. When it was dry I went over the darker areas to pull out the shapes. Lastly when it was dry, I used a chalk pastel in white to highlight seeds and "clocks" -imagining the seed heads floating on the wind, during this month of May.
Monday, May 11, 2015
I worked from a photo of a beautiful brown trout caught last year. The golds and purples shimmering on its back with black circles are just beautiful.
Watercolour on arches 140lb paper. Lots of laying down washes of quinacridone gold, quin gold & ultramarine mix, and burnt sienna mixed with some dioxazine purple.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Monday, March 30, 2015
These are a pair of my husbands ancient walking boots, just before he had to throw them out. After years of walking over boggy ground which is acidic, the metal eyelets started to rust, then gently disintegrate and fall off so he had to wrap the laces around them to keep them on! The shape is beautiful and an interesting study for wet-in-wet watercolour study.
Initial wash of burnt sienna, quinacridone gold and umber and allowed to dry completely. I kept the lighter areas and then just kept applying paint wet-in-wet into the darker areas until I could do no more! Arches 300lb paper.
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Quinacridone gold and ultramarine blue washes wet-wet, allowed to dry then worked over again wet-in-dry. The white highlights on the apple were done with a brush wet with clear water while the paint was drying. The crucial stage to get that 'halo' is just when the shine has gone off the paint.
Arches 300lb paper.