Monday, November 28, 2011

LIfe Drawing



Back to work! It's been a few weeks since I've taken my brush out for a stroll, but I had just started a drawing class at the art college. Its an intensive course with plenty of research and homework, all of it based on the human figure. Not one of my favourite subjects, as most of you will know how incredibly difficult it is to do!

I did two drawings of this pose. The first was at a slighter different angle where you could see the models left leg lying on the floor - but I found it incredibly difficult to capture the foreshortening of the leg and get the feeling of weight and volume of it. So I went around to another angle and was a bit happier with the result, above.

Drawn in pencil first (2b) then added  detail and shading with a watersoluble ink pen then gently worked with a big brush full of clean water. The ink then runs into the water, giving a mid tone and sense of volume to the body (I hope!). On Arches CP 140lb watercolour paper. 

6 comments:

  1. Really nice suzanne! I love the technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful work Suzanne ! Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fabulous, Suzanne! The combination of techniques works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. super start suzanne ...very difficult pose ...enjoy your course

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...